Wednesday, December 17, 2008

Worst Voicemail Ever

Okay, so I'll start with my most recent really bad date. First of all, he left me 3 voice mails before I called him back. In his defense, he called on a Monday, and I didn't call back until Wednesday, but still. His first message was full of long pauses, and ums, and was bad enough that a friend chastised me for my opinion of it. The second message, he gave me his cell number (after lots of long pauses!). The third message explained to me that the cell was for the day and the home number was for the night. So, Wednesday evening, I called the home number (hey, I can follow directions!), and a woman picked up. Took me a few minutes to realize it was his MOTHER! Needless to say, I didn't leave a message. So, we finally talked on Thursday (after I think 2 more messages!), and the phone call might have been worse than the voice mail. He wanted to meet at Starbucks, and I said well, I only know of 2, the one in Owasso and the one at 71st and Garnett, to which he replied, I'm not very familiar with Collinsville. So, you can use your imagination on how any other part of the conversation went! So, I met him for coffee (which, I don't even drink!) on a Friday evening at Starbucks. I was hoping he was just nervous on the phone, I was wrong. Real life was a lot like the phone. First, he went to the wrong starbucks, then he questioned the coffee several times about whether what he wanted was decaf (to be reassured each time!). I really kind of felt bad at the end, because I wasn't even trying. Pretty much at the point where he was amazed that I had my own house, I knew it was over. I even pulled out my cell phone and checked for calls! I finally begged off with needing to run errands at places that closed early. In my defense, I thought Mardel closed at 8 (it closes at 9), but it did work. Of course, he did walk me to my car (which again he was amazed at!) and then said he'd like to do it again. Okay, I was so bad, I wouldn't have wanted to date me again! He called a few days later, but I screened and let it go to voice mail. When I filled the service in on the fact that he lived at home, the response was "we don't ask about that, WHY don't we ask about that."

No comments:

Post a Comment